After kicking off the season with a win, Newcastle will be looking to make it two from two when they host Brighton & Hove Albion this Sunday.
A 2-0 victory over West Ham followed by a win in the Carabao Cup really stands Newcastle in good stead ahead of this new campaign.
Brighton also got off to a decent start despite of what their 3-1 defeat to Chelsea may suggest. Graham Potter’s men put on a good display which they carried through into their 4-0 win over Portsmouth in the cup.
There isn’t much in the betting between the two teams with Newcastle priced as the slight favourites at 13/8 and Brighton just behind on 7/4.
Interestingly all three recent fixtures between these two sides all ended in a draw. In fact, four of the last five head to head meetings have seen both teams share a point.
Bearing this in mind, our recommendation is to back another draw at the current price of 2/1 with both Betfair and PaddyPower.
However, if you’re looking for a bigger price, you can take a look at the correct score market which does offer alternatives. For instance, a 1-1 draw is currently priced at 9/2 while a goalless draw is available at 6/1. Interestingly, the last two games between these two clubs have both ended goalless.
There is a 22.1% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Brighton & Hove Albion, at 41.5%, are solid favorites to beat Newcastle United who have a 36.4% chance at home. Overall, the average simulation score is Brighton & Hove Albion 2.5 to Newcastle United 2.3. In simulation wins, Newcastle United upsets Brighton & Hove Albion by averaging 14.8 shots and 6.2 shots on goal. They average 3.5 goals in simulated victories vs just 1.4 in simulation losses.
ven Yves Bissouma’s late red card could not spoil the Seagulls; afternoon.</p>
Tariq Lamptey ripped Newcastle to shreds as Brighton opened their Premier League account with a comfortable victory at Newcastle.
The 19-year-old wing-back left the Magpies in disarray as Graham Potter’s men raced into a 2-0 lead at St James’ Park courtesy of Neal Maupay’s double inside the opening seven minutes before Aaron Connolly wrapped up a comprehensive 3-0 win despite Yves Bissouma’s late dismissal.
But if it was Maupay who did the damage, it was Lamptey who paved the way as he repeatedly left defenders trailing in his wake, prompting an agricultural response from a shell-shocked home side, who have never beaten the south coast outfit in the Premier League, a run which extended to seven games.
Having played so well in victory at West Ham last weekend, Newcastle ran out in optimistic mood in front of owner Mike Ashley, but whatever plan they had drawn up was torn apart inside a disastrous opening seven minutes.
Maupay took full advantage of Allan Saint-Maximin’s injudicious challenge on Lamptey inside the box to fire the visitors ahead from a fourth-minute penalty, and the lead was doubled before the Magpies could reset.
Maupay looked to be well offside when the ball was played out to Leandro Trossard on the right, but timed his run to meet the Belgian’s cross and fire home as the flag went up, only for a VAR review to compound the home side’s misery.
Lamptey was running riot and Javier Manquillo had to sprint back to prevent him from capitalising on Jamal Lewis’ error before Karl Darlow plucked the goal-bound ball out of the air after the the former Chelsea player’s cross had been turned towards his own net by defender Federico Fernandez.
The Magpies, who had lost Saint-Maximin to injury 12 minutes before the break, created nothing of note as they attempted to work their way back into the game – indeed they did not have a single attempt on target – and continued to look dangerously porous at the back with Darlow having to save from Lamptey in stoppage time.
Miguel Almiron replaced the ineffective Andy Carroll at the break as Steve Bruce looked to change both shape and fortunes, and his side immediately looked more compact.
Jonjo Shelvey and Jamaal Lascelles missed the target with early attempts and although Darlow had to save Trossard’s 57th-minute strike, the Magpies were enjoying their best spell of the game and Potter responded by sending on towering defender Dan Burn for Lamptey.
The home side might have been back in it with 27 minutes remaining when Almiron picked out Callum Wilson in front of goal, but he nodded over after the ball dropped over the head of the defender in front of him.
Brighton were unfortunate not to extend their lead with 18 minutes remaining when Trossard’s skidding attempt came back off the post, but Connolly made sure as time ran down with a fine curling finish, only Bissouma’s unplanned exit for catching Lewis in the face with his studs marring their day.