38' V. van Dijk38'46' Douglas Luiz46'90' M. Nakamba90'4' O. Watkins4'22' O. Watkins22'33' Mohamed Salah33'35' J. McGinn35'39' O. Watkins39'55' R. Barkley55'60' Mohamed Salah60'66' J. Grealish66'75' J. Grealish75'
Somebody’s ‘O’ has got to go this weekend as both Liverpool and Aston Villa will be looking to keep their unbeaten league runs intact.
Liverpool’s run currently consists of three straight wins having got the better of Leeds, Chelsea and Arsenal. Villa, on the other hand, started the season with two straight victories after conquering both Fulham and Sheffield United.
Unlike Liverpool, Villa are yet to concede a single league goal this season. However, looking at the pre-match odds, the bookmakers clearly don’t think that the Villains can keep this up.
The Champions are unsurprisingly the 3/10 favs while at the same time, Villa are available at 17/2 with both Betfair and PaddyPower.
Liverpool have won four of the last five encounters with Dean Smith’s men however, they did lose in their last visit to Villa Park albeit, with a reserves team.
Jurgen Klopp’s men are the second highest scorers in the Premier League so far this season with nine goals to their name. Villa may have bene defensively solid so far in the league however, the question is whether they can withstand Liverpool’s offensive power.
Our recommendation is to say no to that question and back a win for the visitors. Liverpool to win this game 2-0 is currently priced at 11/2 by both Betfair and PaddyPower. This bet landed the last time these two clubs met and there’s nothing to suggest why it couldn’t happen again.
*All prices correct at the time of writing and subject to change
There is a 22.0% chance of a draw. In simulations where the game is not a draw Liverpool, at 60.9%, are heavy favorites to beat Aston Villa who have just a 17.1% chance to win at home. Overall, the average simulation score is Liverpool 1.8 to Aston Villa 0.8. In simulation wins, Aston Villa upsets Liverpool by averaging 6.9 shots and 3.0 shots on goal. They average 2.1 goals in simulated victories vs just 0.4 in simulation losses.
Watkins opened the scoring in the fourth minute following a mistake by Reds goalkeeper Adrian.
Ollie Watkins scored a first-half hat-trick as Aston Villa brought champions Liverpool’s 100 per cent cent start to the Premier League season to a shuddering halt with a stunning 7-2 win at Villa Park.
Watkins opened the scoring in the fourth minute following a mistake by Reds goalkeeper Adrian and doubled the hosts’ lead with a fine 22nd-minute strike.
Mohamed Salah replied just after the half hour mark, only for John McGinn to swiftly make it 3-1 and Villa never looked back as Watkins then headed in his third in the 39th minute.
Former Everton man Ross Barkley subsequently deepened Liverpool’s misery 10 minutes into the second half as he marked his Villa debut with a goal and, after Salah pulled another back, Jack Grealish then added two more for the hosts as Liverpool were condemned to a truly embarrassing defeat.
With three wins from three games, Dean Smith’s Villa are up to second place in the table, level on points with Liverpool – who have played four matches – plus Leicester and Arsenal.
The quartet are three points behind Liverpool’s Merseyside rivals Everton, who Jurgen Klopp’s men face at Goodison Park in their next match on October 17.
Goalkeeper Adrian was brought into the Liverpool starting line-up after Alisson Becker suffered a shoulder injury in training on Saturday.
And the Spaniard made a nightmare start as his poor attempt at a pass was pounced upon in the Liverpool box by Grealish, who laid the ball to Watkins for a simple finish.
Four minutes later Barkley, making his Villa bow following his arrival on loan from Chelsea, was fed by Grealish but put the ball wide from a great position.
Liverpool started to exert some pressure, with Emiliano Martinez twice blocking efforts Roberto Firmino, but Villa were soon back on the front foot and doubled their advantage when Watkins, again set up by Grealish, cut inside Joe Gomez and fired past Adrian into the top corner.
Martinez saved a couple of Diogo Jota efforts and Barkley then went close to making it 3-0 before Liverpool reduced the deficit in the 33rd minute as the ball came to Salah in the box and he cracked it in.
But within moments the visitors had conceded again, McGinn’s volley going past Adrian via a deflection off Virgil Van Dijk.
And they were left shell-shocked again four minutes later as Watkins completed his treble by heading home Trezeguet’s cross, the effort standing after a VAR check for offside.
Barkley then got his debut goal in the 55th minute, hitting a shot from outside the box that flew in off Trent Alexander-Arnold, with Grealish again the provider.
Salah fired in at the other end five minutes later to make it 5-2, but Villa were not finished, with Grealish adding a brace.
His first came in the 66th minute, another goal involving a deflection as the Villa skipper’s shot hit Fabinho en route to the net.
Watkins was then denied by Adrian, before Grealish burst clear of the Liverpool defence as he latched onto a McGinn pass and calmly tucked the ball past Adrian.
Things almost got even worse for Liverpool with five minutes of normal time to go as Watkins’ sent a shot against the bar, but Villa had already sealed an emphatic win over the Premier League champions to cap a day of shocks in the Premier League.