Tottenham v Liverpool - Match Report

Tottenham Hotspur 0-2 Liverpool

Liverpool claimed a sixth European title as they edged out Tottenham in a tight and tense Champions League final in Madrid.

In a final that won’t live long in the memory of everyone but the Anfield faithful, Mohamed Salah opened the scoring after just two minutes from the penalty spot with Divock Origi’s effort in the 87th minute sealing the win.
The victory handed Jurgen Klopp his first trophy as manager of Liverpool, who have now won twice as many European titles as any other English side.
As for Tottenham, who didn’t get going in the first half, they will wonder what might have been having come up against a Liverpool side who weren’t at their best, while Mauricio Pochettino’s men also had several good chances towards the closing stages.
In a forgettable first half, starved of clear cut chances, the only taking point of the opening 45 minutes came with just 23 seconds on the clock when Sadio Mane's cross was adjudged to have hit Moussa Sissoko on the arm. It looked a harsh decision from referee Damir Skomina but VAR didn't overturn the call.
From the penalty, Salah made no mistake, rifling the ball into the net.
Spurs responded well to falling behind so early, pressing Liverpool well but it was the Merseysiders who managed to fashion the better chances, Trent Alexander-Arnold firing across the face of goal.
With both sides struggling to create any clear openings, Andy Robertson was happy to try his luck from range, fizzing one just over the crossbar.
There was a slight improvement in tempo after the break but once more, defences were on top, James Milner's low effort from outside the box on 68 minutes as close as Liverpool got to doubling their lead as Spurs grew in confidence.
Heung-min Son was able to drive at the heart of the Reds defence but rather than take on the shot, he worked the ball to Dele Alli, who tried to loft his effort over Allison, only for the Brazilian to make a straightforward stop.
It took until the 80 minute for Spurs to seriously test Allison, Son forcing a decent save from the Reds stopper before he got up quickly to deny Lucas Moura on the follow-up.
With Tottenham desperately searching for an equaliser, Christian Eriksen was next to text Allison as he tipped away the Dane's freekick.
However, a rare Liverpool corner proved to Liverpool's salvation, Spurs failing to clear their lines and the ball dropping to Divock Origi, the hero of the semi-final win drilling his effort into the far corner.
It was a harsh way for Tottenham’s first-ever Champions League final to end but for Liverpool they will enjoy redemption following the heartache of losing to Real Madrid at the same stage 12 months ago.